Friday, June 22, 2007

Haggling for fun, profit, and dates...

Today I had one of my first successful haggling experiences, using lessons learned from new friends on a sea-kayaking expedition. In Kaş, we met a girl from Australia who had successfully travelled around Turkey and the Middle East for three months, and is now well-versed in the ways of haggling. She explained that she was able to get a man in Ölüdeniz to offer her the price of 120 lira for a paragliding ride (about $90... normally it would be about 170 lira, or about $130 or so), by simply going on a date with the man. "120 lira is as low as they will go," I note to myself, and I tuck this little fact away with me.

The next day Jennie and I arrive at Ölüdeniz. Jennie heads to the restroom, and as I am waiting, I discover that I am standing right next to a paragliding booth. The man asks me if I am interested in paragliding... I ask him if he has any more opportunities to go paragliding this afternoon, and he says this is possible. He gives me an initial price of 170 lira, but quickly is offering me the paragliding ride for only 150. I counter that that is not low enough... knowing our friend's ability to get the excursion for 120, I ask for 130. He says that he cannot go below 150. Back and forth we go, and then I look around the corner to see Jennie coming to meet us. When Jennie rounds the corner, the operator asks if she will also be going paragliding, also. I say that only she will be going paragliding... I am simply her designated haggler. As soon as he discovers that Jennie is going, he instantly says "OK, 130. Deal."

I don't think too terribly much about it, except basking in the glow of my impressive newfound haggling abilities. Jennie goes on her paragliding ride, which is done in tandem with a skilled paragliding instructor. When the ride is over, I discover that the instructor has asked Jennie for a date! (Jennie agrees, but unbeknownst to the poor paragliding instructor, it is only to work on her Turkish, as I sit around as a sort of chaperon.) Suddenly it dawns on me: I probably ain't getting that 130 lira deal until Jennie rounds the corner: these instructors aren't interested in going in a paragliding ride with me, even after all that time put in working on my tan on the beach over the last couple days (truth be told: these tanning sessions have left me looking like a lobster). Nonetheless, I did get that damn 130 lira deal, come hell or high water. I am a haggling master!

3 comments:

- JK - said...

I wish I could have paraglided longer! It was fabulous. Very peaceful up there. Have fun this week!

Anonymous said...

Dustin, you come by your negotiating skills honestly. Your mother can find something worth $20 at a garage sale, being sold for 10 cents, and then offers 5 cents -- to which the annoyed garage saler says 'Take it!'

Dickering on price is standard practice in most of the 3rd world.

'yer Dad

p.s. Use aloe vera.

Anonymous said...

Dustin--
I love your write ups but please don't use my daughter as haggle bait!! But I do thank you for chaperoning the date.

Jen--
Glad you're having a good time; as always, please be careful.Mom